What We Offer
Digger Downunder is focused on providing prospecting tuition that will meet your needs and skill level.
With a variety of options to choose from, we’re sure you’ll be happy working with us. Look around our website and if you have any comments or questions, please feel free to contact us - we hope you will book a session!
We can provide 3 Minelab pulse induction detectors for your use, a Minelab GO FIND 40 treasure hunting detector (for a bit of fun) or you can bring your own detector.
You can select the location within Central Victoria and Reg will meet you at your spot or you can arrange to meet Reg at his home.
GIFT VOUCHERS ARE AVAILABLE
Option 1: Basic tuition for beginners.
This session will cover:
- Legalities, etiquette and where you can detect
- Familiarization with detector functions
- Basic geology and its relationship to gold
- Geological detective work - how to be a gold detective exploring the clues and signs
- Research and mapping systems - maps and historical records
- Ground noises, false signals and other red herrings (and how to differentiate)
- Recovery procedure - how to dig up the gold without damaging it
- Equipment required, care of equipment, and the best attire for the job
- Fossicking - hunting of other items (apart from gold)
Option 2: Tuition using the GPZ 7000 or QED
This session will cover:
- Instruction, field use and trouble shooting of these relatively new, highly advanced and sophisticated metal detectors.
Option 3: Build Your Own Session
- Please discuss with us how you would like to organise a tailor-made session.
Following the tuition sessions described above, you will have time to apply what you have learned to test out the detector and hunt for gold. Reg will be nearby to assist when you have a question or need help to dig up a signal.
ALL GOLD AND TREASURES YOU FIND IS YOURS FOR THE KEEPING
Negotiated with Reg prior to the session.
Cash on the day
Tuition sessions will be subject to weather, alternative arrangements will be offered
We can suggest the following resources:
- For gold history - "The History of Gold Discovery in Victoria" by James Fleet
- For gold social history - "Nothing But Gold" by Robyn Annear
- For modern gold detecting - "Metal Detecting for Gold and Relics" by Douglas Stone
Reg has 35+ years of experience as a gold prospector and has found a lot of gold over the years in many different locations. His biggest nugget was a 98 oz slug, very few prospectors can claim such a find. He has experience with a wide range of detectors including the more recent GPZ 7000 (which he paid for in finds within 4 weeks of purchase) and the QED, e detector developed in Ballarat. His knowledge of the gold fields of Victoria is extensive and his mapping system that he builds to assist the selection of prospecting sites is unique. You will be learning from the best!